curly hair tutorial

Friday, May 27, 2011

To see part TWO of this series and to get more curly hair tips go HERE.

Ok all of you ladies who have curls...or waves...or even the slightest hint of curls. I'm tired of seeing people with crunchy hair. I'm tired of flat roots and heavy curls on bottom. Mousse sucks. Most people don't use it right and their hair looks permanently wet and stiff. Spray gel is kind of the same. They say you're supposed to comb product through your hair to distribute evenly but if you have any curls at all, disturbing them with your comb is the worst thing to do. 

Everyone has their own methods of taking care of curly hair. Everyone. My aunt has super curly hair and hers always looks cute. My hair is between super curly and wavy so I've developed my own technique on getting the curls to look just right. And what's awesome about wearing your hair curly is that if it looks crazy and messy, it's even better. 

So, here's what I do.
  • Wash hair and condition. I use different stuff all the time so for me the product doesn't matter. 
  • Rinse hair in cold water. It helps with shine and to set the curls.
  • Squeeze hair dry so it's still pretty wet but not dripping. I pretty much keep my head upside down the whole time:
  • Put a small amount of Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock in my palm, add a little water so it spreads around more easily and then just kind of scrunch it all over in my hair.
  • Then (while head is still upside down) I use some cold water to wet my curls some more to get them to the consistency I want. Blot dry any drips. The ends of the curls should be pretty wet. 
  • Blow dry hair upside down with a diffuser. Starting at roots and going to the ends. Don't scrunch curls up into the diffuser or mess with them too much with your hands otherwise they look unnatural. You just want them to form naturally. 
  • When it's all mostly dry, still upside down, I give a quick spray of hair spray to the roots to keep the volume. 
  • Then flip over and done! 


Sometimes I'll use a 1/2 barrel curling iron to tame some curls if I'm going somewhere. And I usually tease the roots in the back a little because my hair tends to flatten out in the back after awhile. This will help keep volume. 

Happy Curling! 


20 comments:

  1. The big trick for people with curly hair is finding someone that knows how to cut curly hair cause lots of stylists don't know how to cut curly hair. You talking about flat spots means you need more layers. Layers are a big key. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true about finding a good hairdresser. I learned the hard way! When you suggest the "curls rock" - is this the styling creme stuff they do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if your hair is half curly half wavy and straight at the roots? Can this still work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may seem silly but do you comb your hair before you put the product in? Or at any point!?! I am a hair fixing challenged person :) I don't want to skip anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't comb thru your hair - at least I can't with mine. It separates the curls and creates a bad 80's perm look. The only time I ever brush my hair is when I straighten it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding a serum to the curls rock is a great alternative to water. Tigii products are made to cocktail- to accommodate different hair types. I have curly hair also, and I find the serum helps with shine and diluting/ making the product more easy to work with

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to thank you for this post. I have mostly straight with a little bit of wave, and this made my hair so curly people thought I had curled it with a curling iron. I think the key (and something I had never done before) is to not comb it after washing it, and not to touch it to much. It was really hard not to, but I was very pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to thank you for this post. I have mostly straight with a little bit of wave, and this made my hair so curly people thought I had curled it with a curling iron. I think the key (and something I had never done before) is to not comb it after washing it, and not to touch it to much. It was really hard not to, but I was very pleased with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's going to be ending of mine day, but before finish I am reading this fantastic post to increase my know-how.
    Also see my page - http://www.cheapnikenfljerseys-usa.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm looking to start my own blog in the near future but
    I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
    unique. P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!
    Have a look at my homepage wholesale nfl jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  11. This site really has all the information and facts I wanted concerning this
    subject and didn't know who to ask.
    My page ; nfl jerseys wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, уes this post iѕ aсtually good аnd I
    hаve lеarned lоt of things from іt
    on thе tοpiс of blοgging.
    thanks.
    Review my page :: http://vacuumcleaner-ratings.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey There. Ι discovered уour blog the use of msn.
    Тhis is an ехtremely well written articlе.
    І will bе sure tο bookmaгκ it
    аnd гeturn to learn mоre оf your hеlpful information.
    Thanks for the ρost. I will ceгtainly return.
    Take a look at my webpage :: seolinkmonsterb.org

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.
    Here is my blog post :: girl bartender blonde

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ѕwеet blоg! I found іt while browsing οn Yаhoo Neωs.

    Do yοu have any ѕuggestions on how to get lіsted in Yahоo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Cheers
    My web site ; hair thinning

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Neat poѕt. Therе is a pгoblem along wіth your sіte in ωeb exploreг, may checκ this?

    IE ѕtill iѕ the marketplаce chіеf
    anԁ а laгge component of fоlks will οmіt your magnificent wгiting ԁue tо this рrоblem.
    Also see my web site - hypothyroidism solution book

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dеsign is wickеd! You dеfinitеly know how to
    keep a гeadeг entertaineԁ.

    Betωeen уour wіt and your videoѕ, I wаs almost moved to start my own blοg (wеll, аlmοѕt.
    ..HаHa!) Gгeat jοb. I really enjοyeԁ what you haԁ to
    say, and morе thаn thаt, hоw you prеѕented it.
    Tοo cool!
    Look into my webpage :: Perimeter patio creates

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll immediately clutch your rss feed as I can't to find
    your e-mail subscription link оr e-newѕletter ѕerѵісe.
    Dο уou've any? Kindly allow me understand so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.
    My blog ; www.mini.daszmasz.info

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whatѕ up this is somewhat of off topic but I wаs wanting to knoω if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editorѕ or if you havе
    to manuаlly codе with HTML. І'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Feel free to surf my site - beat Machine

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hair is long and tangles easily so I have to brush it, however, I brush it in the shower while the conditioner is in. This allows me to rinse and reset the curls after brushing. After rinsing and squeezing my hair dry with a towel (not wildly shaking the towel around) I add a curling lotion and a touch of moroccan oil and allow to air dry. The wet crunchy look comes from sticky products such as mousse or gel, look for lotions when you want soft, natural waves/curls.

    ReplyDelete

<
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by | mlekoshiPlayground |